Two weeks ago, I went to our admission office at PSU to get more info in regard graduation deadline and whether or not the university notify Saudi Cultural Mission regard the graduation date. One of the admission office employees, smiled and then said
“ In the past, your embassy don’t even care about whether the student is graduated within a timeline, we had a Saudi student who has been studying here for 10 years and yet he hasn’t graduated! ,The interesting part though is that your embassy has been paying for his tuition for all the past 10 years until his advisor called our office last year and terminated his scholarship”
Now let’s do some calculation here to count how much money has been wasted on this guy for the past 10 years:
- 12 months Multiplied by the number of year ( the 5 years the expiration of his scholarship ) so 12 * 5 = 60 month
- student receive allowance of $1350 every month ( based on past system) and so the total money wasted on his allowance : $ 81,000
- Student tutation is average between $5,500 to 7,000 ( assuming he has been taking a minimum of 12 credit every quarter)
- four quarter a year ( assuming that he hasn’t been taking every summer) : 20 * $5,500 = $ 110,000
- Total money that is wasted on this one saudi student is : 191,000 US Dollar
- converting money to Saudi currency = 716,250 Riyal Saudi
Now my fellow readers, I want you to be creative and tell me how many business project can be established by that much of money? how many homeless in your city can be fed by that much?
People here in SACM are playing with money while people in back home are sleeping in the street, begging government and social communities for a couple of cents.